Monday, February 4, 2008

It should be easier...cleaning supplies

First-- imagine me buying cleaning supplies. And if you can make that leap, imagine me stumbling through the colorful chaos of the Chinese grocery store. How I miss my darling Kim and Wanda! They took such good care of us.

But even I couldn't bear to move into our new apartment without making sure the bathrooms were clean. Yes, bathrooms. John was concerned -- he thinks the fact that I'm nice to him is related to the fact that I've never done any housework....

Thanks to the field trip with my Berlitz teacher, I knew where to go in the store. What I didn't know is the day before Chinese New Year is the day before Thanksgiving in the US...times 1.3 billion people!

I was squinting at the endless Chinese bottles of chemicals when I heard a quiet, "Mrs..?" It was Yan Shifu! John told me he calls me Mrs. He followed me into the store to help. And I did just fine -- including a fairly elaborate pantomine to describe paper towels for 8 darling clerks-- you try it!

And yes, I survived my cleaning of the bathrooms. And yes, John's taking me for a lovely dinner tonight to erase the memory.

Tuesday is the big move!

No comments: