Saturday, February 2, 2008

Meet the New China

Most of my friends are Chinese. My Berlitz teachers are now friends --and I had lunch with some smart young girls from the office -- also new friends.

It's been a wonderful way to understand China a little better -- and here's what I've learned. Young Chinese people are smart and work hard -- 6 days a week...7 days a week. When I was working, I helped the company hire the next generation. It gave me a unique perspective on seeing professional potential. And believe me, my Chinese friends are special.

Meet Zhou Ling. She teaches me Mandarin. She lives 10 hours away from her husband and family so her son can have a better education in Beijing. She teaches lessons seven days a week. Before coming to Berlitz, she taught English in a Chinese middle school -- 60-90 students per class was typical. She's smart and she's humble...the sacrifice for her son is worth it.



Meet Angel Zhang and Jessica Ren. These young women are the backbone of my husband's office -- and besides other things, they provide critical support for the expats living here. They're pretty, fashionable and speak perfect English. They both came to Beijing from other parts of China -- the Middle Kingdom's version of Mary Tyler Moore.

Angel is going to teach me how to make dumplings during Spring Festival when John's back in the US. Jessica is headed home to inner Mongolia to see her parents during the holiday.
These girls remind me of our girls back home. Their perfect English makes me despair that I'll ever learn Chinese.


This is the new China -- exciting, growing -- filled with smart, educated, hard working people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.