limosines. The reality in China is usually a silver mini van (so much more practical...) and a deep appreciation for the skill that's involved in staying safe on these crazy Chinese streets.But the days of hopping in the car and scooting to Walmart are over. We try to plan our days... Often, John and I leave together in the morning -- he goes to the office and I go to my language class. We can
communicate numbers fairly well (I say fairly because poor Yan Shifu has gotten the wrong info from us -- the numbers 4 and 10 sound very similar).We try to be respectful of his time -- he works 6 days a week. If we're going to a late dinner, we'll often take a cab home.
Yan Shifu has also become my language teacher in the car. He's so proud of me when I get something right...and he'll drill me until my tones are perfect. I get an image of Megan with Madeline...who at 10 months is also
learning words...smiling -- encouraging. Meg says Madeline can understand more than she can say -- just like me!I can't wait until I know enough Chinese to chat in the morning, "How's Mrs. Yan? What's Yan Yan (his daughter) up to? Does she have a boyfriend? Does she want to get married in the park across from our apartment and have the reception at our house?" The usual stuff...

2 comments:
Nancy,
I just was introduced to you blog. I love it.
I am doing a lot of work with Archie for the Cat Olympic trip and really getting into the Chinese spirit.
I hope to visit sometime soon.
Jim J.
Nancy, I loved the Engpin video you sent out! It was the funniest thing ever. You're a doll.
Love, Lauren
Post a Comment