Because Yan Shifu is so smart, he's able to translate my grunts and mumbles into an actual language. He translates for my friend Lily when I try to speak Mandarin! Yan Shifu and I have long conversations...only possible because he's filling in the gaps of my language....and has developed "Berlitz ears" (which also allow my Berlitz teachers to understand me...)
He understands more English than we know. After we dropped my friend Patrice at the airport, Yan Shifu asked me if she was talking t
o her husband on the phone. Then he said, "kiss, kiss... I love you! I love you!" in English! Just like she did say on the phone.And how does Yan Shifu see me? He solemnly told Lily, "Mrs. drinks beer and eats potato chips." He helped me shop for a party. But after I thought about it, I realized he was right! I adore Chinese beer (Yanching!)...and potato chips.
He worries because I don't cook -- and asked me immediately if Patrice cooked for her family...he's afraid I'm an example of all US women.
Yan Shifu also gave me one of the greatest compliments I've ever received when he told Lily, "Mrs. is highly educated -- that's why she's learning Chinese so quickly." It simply took my breath away, I was so grateful...I still have so far to go.
Because John is working so hard, Yan Shifu and I spend a lot of time together. My Chinese language teacher!

No comments:
Post a Comment