Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chinese people work hard...

Our apartment is connected to the front desk by an intercom. And when that baby springs to life, John and I feel a sense of dread. What now? What fresh language hell awaits us? Because the people at the front desk are charming...smile a lot...but speak very little English. Especially the night shift...

Sunday night at 10 p.m. we bolted from bed as our intercom burst forth -- a string of incomprehensible "xies" and "zhis" we've come to fondly associate with Mandarin. We ran down to the front desk (at least we can use body language...) and the little guy said in his halting English..."they're going to deliver your washer..." HUH?

We figured our laundry was going to be delivered. But NO! A washer did arrive...along with two hulking Chinese guys who thought we should understand what was wrong (they were looking for the receipt).

Many times people think simply repeating things will help us understand...

10 p.m. on Sunday night...hmmm. I told you Chinese folks work hard!

Today, when I got home from class, I saw two little people loading a washer and dryer on a bicycle -- you guessed it...ours!


I told you they work hard!

No comments: