Monday, February 11, 2008

Moving Day!

It's finally arrived...moving day! Our new apartment overlooks the largest urban park in Asia. John and I feel like we're in New York -- and looking at Central Park!

Yan Shifu helped...and brought his wife as well (Yan Tai Tai -- Tai Tai is the respectful name for wife in Chinese...don't you just love this language?). There was a big crew -- it got done in half a day. By then end, every mover was my Chinese teacher as well -- pointing to a box of books and saying, "shu..."











Yan Shifu organized lunch for the crew -- they all instantly disappeared with their boxes...and I found them on the back landing, squatting down and eating. They are much more flexible than us rigid Americans!
It's the beginning of Chinese New Year -- and part of the tradition is giving your driver a monetary gift in a red envelope. I found the perfect set -- until the girl at the front desk told me the Chinese characters were for a wedding....

Language is funny -- Yan Tai Tai would simply repeat things to me --as if by saying it often enough I would eventually understand...

Our new kitchen is red, red, red -- and I adore it! Everything is new -- a wonderful way to start.

My only challenge -- keys! I haven't locked a door (car or house...) in 30 years! But there may be some salvation...a single card makes the elevator come to our apartment...and if you don't have that card, you can't get off at our floor.

So an unlocked door wouldn't really be that unsafe.... stop by sometime!

No comments: