Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Eliza Doolittle... My Fair Ning

Do you remember the movie, My Fair Lady? Professor Henry Higgins takes a low class woman from the streets of London and teaches her to speak elegantly.

While he ’s teaching her, she fantasizes about killing him “Just you wait, Henry Higgins…”) And then the joy of finally getting it -- “The Rain in Spain falls mainly on the Plains…!” (When I ordered a glass of wine by myself...or asked where to get tickets.... understood how much something cost...)


Right now, I am a Mandarin Eliza Doolittle…and my Berlitz professors and Yan Shifu are all standing in for Henry Higgins!

They don't want to marry me...but they're a little surprised that I'm working so hard! They don't understand that I worked all my life -- learning Mandarin is now standing in for going to a corporate office everyday. I even wear high heels and hose! My friend Patrice is here from the US and sat in on class. Her Ni Hau sounds pretty good!

In Chinese, the song would look more like, “Zhou, xie, yuey…” words I swear my midwestern mouth will never get right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful you have Patrice there with you!
I am so envious of you learning all those new things!
....We are awaiting grandbaby#6